Love carnitas but don’t have a grill but don’t want to heat up your home witht he oven? Here is an amazingly easy yet delicious version to satisfy that craving at home! The pork spends all day in the slow cooker and then gets crispy after a few minutes under the broiler. ¡Delicioso!
Yay! It’s Secret Recipe Club time again!
This month, I was assigned a blog that I have been secretly following ever since I learned about the SRC: SteaknPotatoesKindaGurl which belongs to a spunky girl named Desi in Ohio who seems like she’d be a fun friend to have. She and her high school sweetheart, PJ, are an amazingly cute couple. They’ve been together for 13 years, almost half their lives! I love hearing stories like that!
Because I have been following her for a little while, I already had so many recipes from her blog that I wanted to try that I actually made *3* of them. So, for our SRC reveal day, I made her Crockpot Carnitas which were OMG good! I decided that I am going to post the other 2 recipes on Wednesday and Friday this week so I guess it’s kind of an unofficial SnPKG Week! 🙂
The timing worked out perfectly because Mr. O was craving carnitas AND I had a pork butt in the freezer that I had gotten on sale the previous week. I did need to change up the recipe a little bit because I don’t like the flavor of beer so it overpowers other flavors for me. I know a lot of beer lovers like to say “You just haven’t found the right beer” but I don’t like the yeasty, hoppy after-flavor of ANY beer I have ever tried so why would I put myself through the misery just to find that elusive beer that I might be able to tolerate? That seems like a silly and expensive journey that I’ll pass on.
Um… sorry for the mini-rant. I don’t like beer and I’m okay with that. 🙂
So, my version has no beer. I increased the orange juice and salsa, though, to make up for the missing liquid. I also reduced the salt just a smidge. I so, so, SO wanted to eat mine with avocado like Desi did but the one I bought ended up being bad in the center even though the outside seemed perfectly fine.
A little smear of sour cream and fresh tomato slices were good, though. A lot of yummy sounds were made during dinner by both Mr. O and I. Halfway through dinner, he looked at me and said, “You win the secret recipes!” That’s an exact quote, too. And because I cooked a 6 lb pork butt, there were A LOT of leftovers. I had carnitas everyday for lunch plus he had lots of leftovers at his disposal as well. This is going to be a permanent fixture in my Sunday slow cooker rotation.
- 5-6 lb pork butt roast
- 1 Tbsp jarred minced garlic
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 c salsa (I used my [url href=”http://www.getoffthecouchandcook.com/easy-salsa/” target=”_blank” title=”Easy Salsa”]easy homemade salsa[/url])
- 3/4 c orange juice
- 1/2 c water
- Juice of 2 limes (1/4 cup)
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- Place the roast, fat side up, in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Rub in the garlic on the top and sides.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, cumin, chili powder, pepper, oregano, cayenne, and cinnamon. Rub into the pork over the garlic on the top and sides.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the salsa, orange juice, water, lime juice and hot sauce until blended. Pour gently over the pork roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Shred the pork inside the slow cooker using tongs, removing the bone (if present) and any large pieces of fat.
- Use the tongs to remove the pork from the slow cooker with the tongs, letting only some of the juices drip off the meat, and place on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Place under the broiler for 5-10 minutes until the meat starts to turn crispy and browned. Be careful to watch it so it doesn’t burn!
- Remove from the broiler and serve immediately.
So what else did I make? I’m not going to tell you but here are a couple of sneak peeks. Check back later this week to see what else I made courtesy of the steak-n-potatoes kinda girl. 🙂
[inlinkz_linkup id=502935 mode=1]